Severna Park, Annapolis Periodontist
According to the American Academy of Periodontology, as recognized by the American Dental Association:
- A Periodontist is a dentist who specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal diseases (commonly affecting the gums), and in the surgical placement and maintenance of dental implants.
- Periodontists are experts in saving your teeth whenever possible, as well as in replacing your teeth with dental implants when they cannot be saved.
- The term “Periodontal” literally means “around the teeth”, which includes the bone which supports your teeth and/or implants, as well as the soft tissue which seals the teeth and lines the entire mouth.
- Periodontists are experts in the treatment of oral inflammation and pathology. Periodontists receive extensive training in these areas during three additional years of full-time ADA accredited education beyond dental school.
- Periodontists are familiar with the latest techniques for diagnosing and treating periodontal disease, oral pathology, cosmetic periodontal procedures and dental implant placement and related dental implant surgical techniques. We are also experts in keeping you comfortable during any procedure due to our training in anesthesia and sedation.
Periodontists are one of two ADA recognized surgical specialties of dentistry. The other surgical specialty being Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Periodontists specialize in procedures such as deep scaling and root planing, bone grafting around teeth and implants, laser surgery (LANAP) for the treatment of periodontitis, bone grafting at missing tooth sites and maxillary sinuses, surgical placement of dental implants, gingival (gum) grafting for recession, tooth extractions and bone grafting in conjunction with dental implant placement, biopsy and treatment of oral pathology, and much more.
- Due to the chronic nature of many periodontal conditions periodontists also provide long-term maintenance care to help keep your gums and bone, as well as the teeth and dental implants they support, healthy for the long-term. Periodontists are the only dental specialty which does not provide just episodic care, but also long-term maintenance in cooperation with your general dentist to make sure you maintain the benefits of care and control chronic oral conditions for the rest of your life.